I met with my creative advertising adviser today and she said something that really intrigued me. But first some back story.
I arranged this meeting with her in order to talk about my upcoming interview. I have never been on an advertising interview before and I though some pointers would be helpful. Apparently graphic design interviews are very unique and I am no starting to see that. In a way I feel like I’ve been cut off from all other career avenues and prepared for only one type of job (at least in my graphic design courses). While this is fantastic that I feel prepared (mostly) for looking for those jobs and interviews, it seems like a set back for my other degree. While creative advertising has the similar creative aspect, it is still different.
I was told to bring in my resume, stunning personality, and my adviser suggested a few pieces of my work. This completely baffles the designer in me, because I’m used to taking in between 8-12 pieces. The personality aspects even seem different in a sense. For design, I feel like you have more to back-up. You have to explain WHY for every piece and HOW. For this interview, I feel like it is just explaining that I am a fast, eager learner and that I can actually do the job. I guess that is something that requires a HOW and WHY too, but maybe I just feel more prepared to answer those questions in that field.
The conversation eventually evolved into preparing for the real world, life after college and everything that will be happening. I currently have a lot going on in my life: finishing up my senior year of college to earn two BA’s, taking 17 credit hours this semester (whereas before I had taken 15 each semester, except two semesters of 16), a part-time job, a long-distance relationship, planning an out-of-state wedding, looking for a place to live after graduation, looking for a job in a different state, trying to prepare my finances for after college, and trying to prepare myself for moving 600 miles from my friends and family (even though I’ll be moving in with my fiance, which is big on its own). It’s a lot to take on.
This brings me back to my adviser. She became my adviser the beginning of my sophomore year when I added my creative advertising degree. So she has known me for over two and a half years. Today she said, “Even though you have so much going on, I’ve seen you way more stressed out than you are now.” This is what truly shocked me. But when I really sit down and think about it, I can clearly see what she is talking about. I am more at peace with who I am now, where I’m at in my life, my relationships with my loved ones, and with where I’m going. Part of me wants to give full-credit to my large wall calendar hanging on my wall with a multitude of colors signifying my great organizational skills, but I know it is more than that. I have become a stronger person as a whole. I stopped trying to live for others and began living for myself and I found a great way to keep myself on track while balancing a social life. I’m a happier person.
Even though I don’t have the next 4 years of my life planned out and there will be so many changes in the next 6 months, I know I’ll be okay. Yes, I do still have my fears but I can use that and channel it into motivation. I have come through so much and I know I have the determination and dedication to get where I want to be.
I also want to thank my adviser, she has been an absolutely wonderful teacher and adviser. I sincerely look up to her and am so thankful I had her to help guide me through my college experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment