Recently I was reading my news feed on Facebook and came across someone's status that somewhat bothered me. It didn't make me mad, but more frustrated. This girl was talking about how she'd choose a military man with a military life over a "perfect life." And to me, it feels like she is ignorant in thinking that every relationship that's not military, is "perfect." That is most definitely not the case. My man works 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week now. There is no 9-5 with his job. And then soon, he'll be working 16 hour shifts all 5 days before going back to 12's, 7 days a week. My man doesn't work in a suit and tie and doesn't come home smelling like a stark office. He too comes home dirty, smelling of grease, face and hands black from the grease and oil. He also works in a dangerous environment, where serious injury or even death could happen. So you're not alone in fearing for your man's safety. I also know what it's like to have to say those goodbyes. Not knowing when you'll see them next is the worst feeling in the world. Albeit I don't have to go as long as you may without seeing them. Separation and distance are present. And that still takes a toll. I know about time differences and opposite work schedules. Some days hardly talking at all. I know about late night call-in's. Sudden changes in work schedules ruining plans. So if this girl really thinks that anyone who has a "normal" relationship has a "perfect" life, she needs to get her head out of her ass. I'm damn proud of my man. He works his ass off everyday and he doesn't get even close to the amount of recognition he deserves. Many people forget about the hard working class that keeps our country running. Where would the almighty, powerful United States be without steel? We'd be nothing.
So to this girl, get your head out of your fantasy world you're living in. Take a good, hard look at what's really around you. You aren't the only one going through that shit. You cannot assume that anyone non-military has no idea of the hardships you face. Because I get it. I am the proud girlfriend of a steel mill worker and I stand behind him 110%. I love him and support him. I always have and I always will.
Quote of the Day:
"This is how I know I'm becoming cynical..."
-Becca
Haha! The title of this cracks me up!
ReplyDeletePlus, there's a lot of truth in it! =] <3 your post! =] =] =]
<3 you!