I'm sitting here looking at my picture of my grandfather when he was in the Army back during WWII. He's still around, but barely. I'm lucky to still have him around. My other grandfather, who also served in WWII and was wounded (not badly, shot in the hand and damaged his thumb, if i remember correctly, so it never could be straightened all the way) passed away several years ago. Actually it's been about 12 by now. He was a wonderful man from what I remember. He and my grandma lived just down the street from us and my brother and I would go there on the weekends. We'd have waffles for breakfast and my grandpa was always in charge of pouring the batter in the waffle iron. We'd almost always have chips and dip with our dinner...and me being a big fan of french onion dip...always took a lot! Haha. I remember my grandpa saying, "It's chips and dip, not chips and shovel!" or his infamous song about baked beans...lol. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about! We'd also call him the cookie monster because he'd always be stealing cookies from the cookie jar. Sometimes he'd take my brother and me to the farm for the weekend or in the summer. We'd go fishing, hiking, he'd push me on the swing, take me out in the boat, lit my sparklers for me. lol Yeah, he was a really good grandpa and I miss him. And there's a lot I wish he could have been there for.
But like I said earlier, I still have my other grandpa! To some extent... His dementia is getting worse over the years, but that doesn't make him any less of an amazing person. He's the sweetest man ever and loves making people smile! He'll wave and smile at everyone. Despite his memory loss and losing my grandma years ago, he's always happy when I see him. He's done so many wonderful things and has always been there for me. Ever since I was a little girl. He read me bedtime stories and sat by my bed until I fell asleep. I called him "Pucket" when I was little and I'm pretty sure one of the first words out of my mouth (probably aside from mama or dada) was airplane. My grandpa was a pilot for many years and I'm pretty sure it was the second love of his life, my grandma being the first or course! Okay maybe 4th...cuz my mom and aunt are in there somewhere lol. He loves talking about flying and airplanes. It makes his face light up! And seeing him smile, always makes me smile! He worked hard for everything he achieved and showed kindness and love to everyone who entered his life.
I know I probably haven't been the best grand daughter in the past couple of years, but I do love him. I always will. And I'm going to miss him so much when he goes, whenever that may be. So maybe I should find some time to spend with him before that time comes. I don't want to regret wasting the time that I do have left with him and I don't want to spend the rest of my life saying "I should have gone back just one more time."
I originally was just going to post about my lazy day watching episodes of True Life online and going to get a Cherry Limeade from Sonic. However, I feel that I used my time and energy better by taking the time to remember my loved ones. I hope you take some time out of your day, in between the bbq's and pool parties to remember those you love and the people you know serving our country. They are out there risking everything so we have the opportunity to play. Thank you.
Quote of the Day:
"It's chips and dip, not chips and shovel!"
-Grandpa Bruner

No comments:
Post a Comment